FM 6-14: Standard Survival Techniques for Indvidual Sized Units

Noble dead that sleep below,
We your valour ne'er forget;
Soft the heroes' rest who know
Hearts like theirs are beating yet.

14 June 2005

Happy Birthday to Me

Well, I turn 18 today. I'm currently sitting alone in my house at the computer. I hung out with Josh last night. I was finally afforded the opportunity to see Team America. It was hilarious.

I also talked to Mer's folks yesterday. I was extended the offer to accompany them to Minnesota. I'll have to run the dates past my mom. I met her grandparents (maternal). They're great people. I can see why her mom is the way she is. Talking to Mer's grandma was like meeting her mom all over again. Her grandpa pretty much just laid on the couch and snored the whole time, but he wasn't feeling very well. It was great to see the girls again. Mary Kate was being very sweet. She drew a mutant tomato with 6 legs, two eyes, 4 rows of teeth, braces, and crazy hair. I thought it looked like Michael Moore... but that's just me. Her father and I were able to talk for a good hour or so about college and things. It's funny how unusually comfortable I am in their house. It's like I walk in and all of a sudden all the stress dissapates.

I went for a run today. It's around 93 and 100% humidity outside, so I figure if I can pound out three miles in that no problem, I should be fine in Kentucky. It was similar to running submerged in warm bathwater. I love Florida.

I'm getting more and more psyched about LTC. I want to leave now and get it over with.

3 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

I don't feel like I'm going to be doing anything special by joining the Army, but the gratitude that people express for the military has always amazed me. I agree that (while not neccesarily me) people that are willing to stand up and fight for what they believe are what make are country as wonderful of a place as it is. My parents (my Mom is getting ready to retire from the Navy with 21 years of service) had some impact on my choice to join up, but they didn't apply any direct influence. I am in no way joining because I want to be like them, but growing up with it did instill a love of the military, the servicemen, and the military community in me. I think being in such a military family made me much more comfortable with the idea of being in the service. However, my parents actually made me decide not to join the Navy. I've seen pretty much all of the services... and the Navy wasn't what I wanted to do. Being a diplomat could either be really awesome or really suck, depending on where you go. Just try not to get sent to Syria.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

Yes, my parents met at a Non-Commisioned Officer's leadership class. My mother is a strongly independent woman. She doesn't take crap, she is an athlete, and she is an aggresive go getter. Being a beautiful woman in the Navy was easy for her, because things only recently began to become politically correct, but she fought her way to the highest enlisted ranks in a highly competitive career field (Air Traffic Control). My mom is a beautiful and special lady, but being so, it was much harder on her than any male.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

*that's supposed to say: wasn't easy for her

 

Post a Comment

<< Home