FM 6-14: Standard Survival Techniques for Indvidual Sized Units

Noble dead that sleep below,
We your valour ne'er forget;
Soft the heroes' rest who know
Hearts like theirs are beating yet.

06 October 2005

In the Early Morning Rain...

In the early morning rain,
out the door time to train,
in the early morning rain,
out the door time to train...

See the Ranger on the hill,
one shot one kill,
see the Ranger on the hill,
one shot one kill...

Used to drive a Caddilac,
with all my homies in the back,
Used to drive a Caddilac,
with all my homies in the back...

Used to date a beauty queen,
now I got my M-16,
Used to date a beauty queen,
now I got my M-16...

I awoke this morning feeling refreshed. It rained all night last night, and a cool breeze was blowing through our window (we keep it open because we have no A/C). Apparently there was a thunderstorm last night, but I slept through it like a baby. The only time I awoke was when one of our ceiling tiles fell to the floor. I don't know what was up with that, because the things are kind of hard to dislodge, so I would be surprised if it was just a breeze responsible. Anyhow, I rolled off my bunk, strapped up, buckled up, and shuffled to the door. We jogged through the rain to the Military Science Department, where the rest of the Ranger Team was waiting. It started to rain harder. We grounded our rucks underneath an awning, and formed up in our normal running formation. Soon enough we were off and truckin'. The rain picked up some more, and started to get in my eyes. We picked up the pace to about a 7 minute mile. We must have looked crazy, a formation of 12 guys running through red lights with only shiny reflector belts on, in the dark, in the rain. We ran really far, ran back, and then ran back out really far again. Far and fast. Chris and Brett fell out, but the rest of us kept going. It was an intense experience. I always run at the front of the formation because it helps keep me motivated. I just think about all of the guys behind me, and how they would all have to run by me if I were to fall out. I maintained the pace. It's been awhile since I've felt this refreshed and energized, even if it is the kind of day only Meredith Mason could appreciate outside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home